Saturday, July 17, 2010

Inception Review

Normally I don't really enjoy reviewing movies, despite my love for cinema. I don't know what it is...I just don't enjoy it. Until now.

Me and my good friend Christopher 'Gustav' Saksa went to the theater today to have our minds blown.

It took my brain several hours to finally settle down after the tempest of delta brainwaves that 'Inception' caused. Things have been bleak at the multi-plex lately aside from one or two decent movies. Christopher Nolan's (Dark Knight, Memento) latest movie is like a shining beacon of hope made out of gold and chocolate standing high above the ocean of mediocre films that we've been swimming in for several years. I'm going to give a brief synopsis of the film, mainly because alot of people who talk to about it are confused entirely about the plot. But I'll try my best not to give anything away. Dom Cobb (DiCaprio) is a man who has trained his mind to be able to invade other people's dreams with the help of a strange device mainly kept in a silver "blade runner" briefcase. He enters their dreams as a sub-conscious manifestation of himself. Cobb has been away from home for an ambiguous amount of time due to a mysterious crime or occurrence, and has been trying to buy his way back home by taking jobs of infiltrating the dreams of important and powerful people and stealing vital information from them that they keep in their dreams.

Cobb is approached by a new employer. A Mr. Saito (Ken Watanabe), who offers Cobb a job, and in return he will find a way to get him home. However the job does not involve the extraction of information, but the impossible idea of planting an idea in the target's mind. The feat of inception (Ha! that's the title).

Cobb takes the job and along with his team they try to perform the insane feat inside the dreams of a man who has a dangerously trained sub-conscious. Cobb's crew is made up of Arthur "the muscle" and Cobb's partner (Joseph Gordon-Levvit), Ariadne (Ellen Page) "the architect" who creates the landscape of the dreamer's lucid world while she herself is present in it, and Eames (Tom Hardy) the "forger" and comic relief of the film. I'm going to stop explaining the plot there before I give too much away.

Everything about this film was perfect. DiCaprio and everyone else gives an A+ performance. The visual and special effects were incredible and mind-boggling at times. Especially the zero gravity fight scene. Being able to take the real world and have characters bend and twist it like a dream was literally jaw dropping. And Christopher Nolan seems to be the only person in Hollywood with original ideas anymore. The man can not only write a flawless script but also direct the hell out of it. And when I say flawless script I mean it in every sense of the word. There were moments that tugged at the short and curlies with intensity, and others that made my brain do gymnastics.
An illustrated depiction of a "braingasm"

I don't do number scores for movies, or anything I rate. All I'm going to say is go see this movie immediately. Hands down one of the best films of 2010. Also it's good to see Tom Berenger working again.

Currently Listening To: Dawn -- Midnight Movies

No comments:

Post a Comment